Friday, May 14, 2010

Palm Trees in Poland

Got out of Atlanta with a late start, which put us into Minneapolis (44 degrees in May – way too cold) late as well. Total chaos getting boarded on the next flight headed for Amsterdam. The nice people at Delta had upgraded me to Business Class, however, probably not a good idea to take that since Jolanta and Martin weren’t upgraded. Long flight to Amsterdam which arrived a bit late – but saw a couple good movies on the way (Invictus and Hurt Locker). Even better, Martin slept pretty well during the flight. Was wearing the Triabetes shirt – which caught the attention of another T1 from Omaha named Nicole. Chatted with her about exercise, pumps, CGMs, our mission, and the “big event” next May. She was on her way to Germany with her son.

Stopped at the “Crown room comparable” in Amsterdam – 7am and free French champagne! Reasons why we (or at least I) train. Managed to get on the wrong elevator going back to the gates and ended up at the employee entrance – needless to say that caught the attention of a few folks. Had a shorter flight to Warsaw. KLM flight attendants were great. They moved a couple people so the infants in arms could have their own seats alongside their parents Very pleasant and helpful. Energy was running low by the time we got luggage. Met Jolanta’s cousins at the airport and they took us to the hotel. Tried to take a nap – with limited success. Figured maybe a run would help me acclimate – which leads me to the title above.

I asked the concierge if there is a good place to run (if there is I’m not seeing it from my hotel window – just lots of traffic). Looking out the 38th floor window of the hotel she points and says “see the palm tree”? I’m thinking – I’m in Poland, not Florida, and that champagne was only 1 glass – 12 hours ago. But I did spot it took her suggestion – ran past it (without the camera, but I will get a picture), then past many of the embassies, through a nice little park with lots of trees, people sitting on benches, etc. Didn’t see any other runners during my 45 minute adventure – and just a single palm tree, a few bikes, lots of people. Beautiful spring day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Nicole, the T1 from Omaha! :-) I'm a little embarrased that I am just now getting around to reading your blog. It was very nice meeting you on the flight to Amsterdam. Sending you some positive energy and wishing you all the best on your journey!

    ReplyDelete