Thursday, May 20, 2010

Highway to Hel

Yes, I've been on it - and I was actually was in Hel for a couple hours, walked around a bit, rather enjoyed it (obviously this has nothing to do with Ironman training, or the course at St. George). Hel is a town on the tip of a peninsula in Poland that reaches out into the Baltic Sea. During WWII there was a considerable amount of fighting that took place there as the Germans attempted to take the area. There are still some remnants of bunkers and artillery fortifications that were there during and after the war. As it relates to St. George, the Baltic water was 7 degrees C. according to the sign on the beach (roughly 46 degrees if my math is correct). Didn't feel that bad, but the air was a bit chilly too. A nice fog was rolling in at the time as well.

As for training, I've been a bit relaxed since arriving in Poland. Due to weather, a sick baby, and plans that changed due to the flooding in the south where we were headed, and honestly not having the foggiest idea where I am, I've managed to do very little running (and I don't have a wetsuit so swimming in the Baltic is out). Carrying a 20 lb. "little" guy over my left shoulder has been about the extent for me - so glad we have a stroller to push without him in it.

Today was really the first day I've been able to run. Went for about 20 minutes and ran into a group of stray dogs. Decided heading back would be in my best interest. On the way back I had the opportunity to run by a double semi with three levels of pigs on it. I won't forget the sounds, or the smells any time soon (and Tiffany complains about the Port O Potties). Tomorrow is another day - hopefully the weather will be decent and the baby will feel better.

Hopefully some pics to go along with my stories at some point later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment