Sunday, June 20, 2010

End of a Long Week

Had a decent week of workouts (until today - maybe Sunday's don't like me for some reason). Wednesday I spent over 2 hours on a stationary bike - not a pleasant experience - probably lost 5 lbs. of water weight on that one - but stable blood sugars (I've been experimenting with various types of breakfast bar and following some other guidance from Coach Ed L.)

Thursday was a good 7 miler on the streets of Alexandria, VA - not too hot, not too humid. A bit of knee pain toward the end - but overall a good workout. Friday as a swimming day (Sunday should have been) and I continued to slowly progress in terms of stroke strength and breathing technique/capability. Hopefully I'll be good to go this coming weekend when I have to do 600 in a lake at one of the state parks (sprint tri #1 for the season).

Saturday was the Jackson County Brevet - a ride to benefit those with Aplastic Anemia. For a first time event they had pretty good attendance - about 500 from what I was told. I opted for the short (35 mile) course - though many others did the 65 and 100 mile routes. Everyone was together for the first 14 miles - after that the groups thinned out and I was able to use my brakes less. Was chased by 2 stray dogs (wondered how that was going to work out if they actually caught me and I was still "clipped in") - saw a llama (or something similar) in someone's front yard (we're talking rural Georgia here - and no, I didn't spike the water bottle). Overall a nice ride - roads were in better shape than some of other areas I've ridden - no traffic - and they were less hilly.

Sunday I learned yet another lesson (I see Bart Simpson writing this on the blackboard for me primarily because that's something he does, and I'm too tired to do it) "I will not do my long distance runs in the middle of the afternoon". It was 94 - humidity not too bad - decided a nice 3 mile loop - somewhat shady - would be in order for the day. Mistake. Felt like I was carrying a ton of bricks the entire time (adding another ton each time around). And this was supposed to be a day to keep the HR in Zone 1 - it was there about the time I walked to the back of the car - should have stopped at that point.

Early mornings from now on if at all possible. Looking forward to the day off (from training) tomorrow, and of course my "later" flight to DC (leaving at 7:25 instead of an hour earlier - get to sleep in!!).

1 comment:

  1. I hate the stationary bike! It is so much harder than being outside, I think. I tried to go for 2 hours one time and just couldn't handle it. My butt hurt too bad!! :) What coaching are you getting from Ed?

    ReplyDelete